To celebrate the #PancakeDay, we decided to make a new experiment developing a new/modified recipe of ketogenic delish with only 4g NET CARBS so all keto-dieters can celebrate without any guilt.
For this recipe variation, we opted to add 1/2 scoop of Whey Protein (about 8g to 12g of protein added, depending on the brand used) for a firmer consistency of the dough. But we know that the protein threshold can vary greatly from person to person when following a ketogenic diet, so let this ingredient as an option. For weight lifters certainly there will be no problems in some protein added, but for sedentary people may mean a slight reduction in their ketones levels. For those who do not want to add whey protein in this recipe, we suggest to use Guar Gum and/or Xantham Gum to do the role of the protein in the dough consistency, but you can add only a small amount of one these gums (or any combination of both), to get the correct point of the dough.
So, watch your macros and modify this recipe accordingly.
- 2 oz Cream Cheese; – Kraft Original Cream Cheese Spread
- 2 Eggs (large-sized; whole);
- 1/4 tsp Cinnamon or Organic Apple Pie Spice Salt-Free Blend
- 1 tbsp Coconut Flour – Viva Labs Organic Coconut Flour
- 5 drops Vanilla Extract or NOW Foods Better Stevia Liquid Sweetener French Vanilla
- 1/8 tsp Baking Powder
- 1/2 scoop Whey Protein (10g~20g powder) – Optimum Nutrition 100% Whey Gold Standard, Vanilla Ice Cream
- 1/8 tsp Guar Gum and/or Xantham Gum (optional to thicken the dough)
- Butter – Kerrygold Pure Irish Butter – Unsalted
- Walden Farm’s Calorie-free Syrup – Any flavor
- Gruyere Swiss Cheese – or any other cheese of your preference
- Cream Cheese; – Kraft Original Cream Cheese Spread
STEP 01 – In a large bowl, mix all the dry ingredients before: whey protein powder, coconut flour, cinnamon and baking powder, and then add the other ingredients;
STEP 02 – Using a good mixer (or blender) to blend all the ingredients for about 3 minutes or until desired smooth reached – this is a very important step to add homogeneity to the dough;
STEP 03 – The dough may seem a little bit watery, but don’t worry it will thicken when heated up. Now you can add the optional ingredient Guar Gum and/or Xantham Gum to add more consistency to the dough;
STEP 04 – This recipe will make two medium-sized pancakes (or thin crepes, or whatever your imagination wants), so split the batter in two portions, heat up a non-stick pan or skillet with butter or coconut oil on medium-high. Use a pan lid during cooking so that will make the pancakes softer;
STEP 05 – Make them like regular pancakes, cooking most of the way on one side and then flip for completion. In a medium-high heat, you can get it done in about 3 to 5 minutes;
STEP 06 – Top with butter, Walden Farms Calorie-free Maple Syrup, Walden Farms Calorie-free Chocolate Syrup, any kind of cheese (we highly recommend Gruyère Swiss Cheese) or any other topping of your preference;
And my wife’s favourite variation of this recipe: LOADS OF GRUYÈRE SWISS CHEESE!!! 🙂
STEP 07 – ENJOY YOUR GUILT-FREE PANCAKE DAY!