Always searching for the perfect low-carb cake recipe.
Since I began to adopt the ketogenic lifestyle, I have been looking for substitutes for palatable delights filled with carbohydrates such as cakes, breads and pasta. As much as we try, it is difficult to reach the same softness that wheat can offer in the dough, howeever we can use coconut flour or almond meal with very good results.
With the Gingerbread Keto Cake it is possible to be fairly close to a cake made with regular wheat flour. The consistency is more rigid due to coconut flour, but it is amazingly moist, dense and buttery. It’s more like an old-fashioned steamed pudding and it doesn’t need much more than a bit of whipped cream (or more butter) on top for garnish.
- 2 1/4 cups Almond Meal/Flour (Bob’s Red Mill Almond Meal/Flour)
- 3/4 cup Erythritol Natural Sweetener (NOW Foods Erythritol Natural Sweetener)
- 2 tbsp Coconut Flour (Viva Labs Organic Coconut Flour)
- 1 tbsp Cocoa Powder (Healthworks Raw Certified Organic Cacao Powder)
- 1 1/2 tbsp Ground Ginger (Simply Organic Ginger Root Ground)
- 1/2 tbsp Cinnamon or Organic Apple Pie Spice Salt-Free Blend
- 2 tsp Baking Powder
- 1/2 tsp ground cloves
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup Ghee – or butter, melted (Grassfed Organic Ghee – Pure Indian Food (R) Brand)
- 4 large eggs
- 2/3 cup Almond Milk Unsweetened
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract or NOW Foods Better Stevia Liquid Sweetener French Vanilla
STEP 01 – Preheat oven to 360ºF
STEP 02 – Provide a Silicone Loaf Pan, this is the best option for this kind of cake because its buttery consistency can cause some problems when unmolding. Using a baking mold like this, unmolding is very easy and will not ruin the cake shape after it’s done;
STEP 03 – In a large bowl, whisk together the almond meal/flour, sweetener, coconut flour, cocoa powder, ginger, cinnamon, baking powder, cloves and salt;
STEP 04 – Stir in ghee (or in melted butter), eggs, almond milk and vanilla extract until well incorporated;
STEP 05 – Spread batter into the silicone loaf pan and bake for 40 – 50 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean;
STEP 06 – Serve warm as is or with little smear of butter!